Thursday 1 December 2011

Preconceptions

It truly sucks being young at the moment. The jobs market is buggered and if you've just finished university, you're probably saddled with a debt burden equivalent in size to the GDP of a small island nation. Granted, not all of that money went on books (enjoying yourself whilst you're young, how dare you!) but still it is the price you have paid for a good education. Fortunately, as a graduate you are now eminently employable by a blue chip company who will put you on a fast-track graduate development program and pay you the sort of decent starting wage that'll shift your debt in no time. At least that's how it was before the government and the banks wrecked the economy and your chance of a decent job.
Except of course that it wasn't. I left university a number of years before this recession, and no one I was at university with walked straight into the job of their dreams. Every last one of my friends did any job that just paid the rent for a year or two before they even got anywhere near a sniff of a career. Granted, that may have something to do with my friends, but I don't think it did any of us any harm. I remember panicking a few times thinking that was it, I'd blown my chances of a career straight out of university so I was on the scrapheap for life. This was not the case, after a few years and a short period on the dole, I stumbled upon a career that I had not necessarily been looking for, but which I now enjoy more than most people can imagine.
It is really hard to imagine the future like this when you are fresh out of university and you want everything now. I'm afraid the truth is that you were never going to get it straight away.
It seems that the legacy of the introduction of tuition fees and turning degrees into commodities has worked very well, in that we now see a degree as an investment for which the dividend is some kind of career equivalent of the x factor's instant success. It isn't, and never was, in many cases it is an expensive way to avoid the harsh reality of the world for a few years whilst proving that you have the ability to study a subject (any subject really) in some depth. It is about learning to think at a certain level. That won't get you a job straight away, but it will make a massive difference once you've got one. That doesn't smack of instant success does it? That's because there is no such thing, and there never was.
So if you've recently finished your degree, I'm really sorry there aren't any jobs, but there weren't any decent ones anyway, not for you. I guess you can try and take some positives from the situation: all that extra time you would have been spending on your dream job, you can devote to something else, like radical politics.

No comments:

Post a Comment