Friday 2 December 2011

Progress

As I sat there fuming about the fact that I'd missed my train by seconds this morning, I gradually noticed the effect that all the Shard-associated building work is having on London Bridge station. The whole forecourt has been covered in glass and is flooded with natural light. Soon they will surely take out the old dirty corrugated gack roof over the platforms and let the light flood in from all angles there as well, making it a lighter, more airy place to be.
I'm not going to get into the issues around the Shard development as a whole, or even the logic of putting the main timetable right above the barriers (which works sooo well in other London stations), I just wanted to take a moment to bid an oddly fond farewell to dingy, grimy heads-down-and-get-out London Bridge station.


No comments:

Post a Comment