Tuesday 20 March 2012

Perennial

I recently excused myself from what was bound to be another Twittercation (a lighthearted altercation that drags on far too long due to the 140 character limit on Twitter) by stating that I have nothing against summer. This was technically a lie. Summer is my least favourite season, and I apologise in advance to friends who've heard this before.
I find it difficult to sleep in summer, as there is not enough darkness and it is usually too hot. In fact being too hot is generally my problem with summer. I break into a sweat at the drop of a hat, so I spend most of summer personally and socially uncomfortable. Dressing in season-appropriate clothing obviously mitigates this somewhat, but this is another problem I have: I'm English, I have no idea how to dress for summer. Certainly I will never overcome that nagging sense of self-consciousness an Englishman gets from exposing too much of his pasty flesh to the elements. Weirdly, this appears to be location specific: I had no problem wearing shorts for large portions of the time whilst I was in the USA. Mind you, I had no real issues with the dry heat of the American Midwest. So perhaps it is just the English summer that I have an issue with, the English summer in all its clammy discomfort. There is no comfort to be found in summer: you can't put on comfy clothing, or curl up in a comfy chair by a fire; all comfort food is winter food.
All this said, I don't spend all summer being miserable. I love cricket and salads and pub gardens and picnics. I like many things about summer, but mostly I like it for the same reason I like every other season: it comes to an end. People constantly mourn the passing of summer as part of a general mourning of the passing of time. This is an inherently pessimistic viewpoint as it allows only the possibility that you will be endlessly disappointed by life. Life is nothing if not the experience of time passing, so we may as well enjoy it and all the things that mark it, such as the end of things we enjoy or endure, or remain staunchly ambivalent towards.
Woohoo, that's another few minutes done right there.

No comments:

Post a Comment